Wednesday, February 8, 2012

30 before 30: i scuba dived

When we visited Maui in 2006, I planned on hiking, snorkeling and relaxing. For the most part, that is exactly what happened. But then a friend of ours asked if I wanted to go scuba diving, and I said yes.

I am a pretty adventerous person. I like to try new things. But the ocean has always scared me a lot a little because the currents are strong and the animals are wild. Although I know that it is unlikely I will be attacked by a shark, I am still terrified of it happening. Plus when you scuba dive you are underwater and, you know, BREATHING THROUGH A TANK. Oh ya, totally natural.

I don't remember all the details, but basically it comes down to this: if you are with a master diver, you can take a brief training session and go scuba diving without becoming scuba certified. I was shaking when I jumped in the water the first time and demonstrated the necessary skills. My heart was pounding so I focused on the breathing and repeating the instructions over and over again in my head.

And then I was scuba diving.

I thought that the mask, tank and breathing apparatus would make me feel weighed down and claustrophobic, but the amazing thing about scuba diving is that it is freeing.

It is difficult to describe the feeling of scuba diving. I felt empowered as I did something that should be impossible for the human body to do, but tiny as I experienced how small and fragile I am. I was weightless. It was beautiful to experience the ocean by being in the ocean. I felt like I became part of the environment that surrounded me. It is simultaneously silent as all noise of the world disappears, but loud with the sound of your own breath.

Simply stated, it was one of the most amazing experiences that I have ever had. I felt free. I was at peace.

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I could never do that. Crazy. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I'm impressed. I somehow become terrified while snorkeling in the shallow waters of the coastline in Hawaii. Yeah. I'm that cool.

    I just envision some shark following me all Jaws-style and shit and then just eating my feet off. Or half my body, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go scuba diving, but it makes me so scared! I will live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the 30 before 30!

    http://joanna-dan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete