Sunday, February 5, 2012

30 by 30: love of books


My parents started reading with me as a child. I remember my dad laying with me and reading to me when I was just a little girl. I loved it. My love of books comes from my parents who are both avid readers themselves. My parents always read before bed, a habit that I learned from them.

When I was a kid I used to read all the time. When I got home from school I would sit on the couch and read. I read late into the night, even after my mom told me to turn off the light. I couldn't get enough of books. By the time I was in middle school I would try to read whatever my mom was reading.

I am a romantic and a bit of a pack rat, therefore I have book shelves full of books that I have been saving for my kids. My favorites like Anne of Green Gables, Jane Eyre, Ender's Game and A Wrinkle in Time are all stashed away in different rooms of my house, waiting for my kids to be old enough to read the books I loved so deeply.

I know that I can't make my kids love reading, but I hope that our daily reading habits and watching Brandon and I read will be enough to spark their own joy for books.

Today I am much busier than I ever have been before and I have less time to read. But my joy for books is still great and I love any opportunity I have to read!

What book do you love that you hope your children will love too?

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to share the Laura Ingalls Wilder series with Jordan. It's my favorite of all time. I hope she likes it too and doesn't just wonder where their cell phones are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Secret Garden is my favorite book EVER. I'm so happy Isabella is a reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you may not even see this, but I just adore this post. One of my favorite "mom-blog" posts ever. I have been thinking of writing one about the books I read with D. I think I will :)

    ReplyDelete