Thursday, July 1, 2010

Holiday in Spain

I miss Spain.

The other morning I rushed out of Starbucks with my coffee in hand and I had sudden urge to be sitting in a plaza enjoying my cafĂ© con leche. The Spanish don’t rush their coffee. “To go” cups are practically unheard of. Friends and family sit around small tables in plazas and leisurely enjoy their coffee. I miss the slower pace. I miss taking the time to enjoy my coffee. I miss the company of my friends as we chatted. And oh boy, do I miss the delicious pastries.

I made amazing friends in Spain, especially one Spanish family with five siblings. They welcomed me into their family. Every time I visit them I feel like I am home. We laugh and enjoy each other’s company alternately in English and in Spanish. I even made a point to visit these friends while I was on my honeymoon. There is something beautiful about having friends that live half way around the globe. But I miss them. Madrid is hardly a weekend trip and with babies on the way, I am sure it will be years before I can visit again.

Spain made it out of the second round of the World Cup and I couldn’t be more excited. The Spanish are fiery, passionate people and their love of soccer is amazing. I can only imagine how crazy it must be in that country right now! A por ellos! Viva Espana!

Some days I just want to be there—walking on old, stone streets, listening to the beautiful language and enjoying the tastes of Spanish tapas and wine. Today is one of those days.

****

I realize I didn’t give many details in the last blog post... so to update you: I am 16 weeks pregnant with twins. I am due December 16 but twins don’t like the timeline of singleton babies, so we expect them any time after mid-November.

When I first found out I was having twins I started reading. Unfortunately most of my reading was full of horror stories about bed rest, preterm labor and NICU. I spent weeks panicking about how I could possibly care for two babies, wondering how we could afford day care and just in general shock about double everything. Since then I have found more positive reading on the realities of being a twin mother. Although I know it is going to be difficult, I know that with the support of family and friends that we will survive.

****

Now that my coaching job is winding down, I plan to blog more. My husband loves when I write, which I think is funny because I tell him everything anyway. So even if it is just for Brandon, I will be back more often. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking and praying for your family Erin! It may be twice the work but I think it will be twice the reward too with two. You've probably already found this site but I wanted to pass it along just in case: http://www.gcmom.org/ There's also a great sale called the Just Between Friends Sale where a lot of us stock up on clothes, toys, you name it. Their site is www.jbfsale.com Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you and your family. :) Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mind often wonders to places I've travelled and loved - most often when the drudgery of day to day life as a mom feels just that, "drudgery." I think back to travels through spain, my honeymoon in Rome, a semester abroad. The freedom that those memories represent brings to mind a little mini vacation.

    I love love love being a mom. It is all I ever truly wanted for my life and because of that I know how incredibly blessed I am with my husband and three boys. It's hard, Erin, that's for sure...and I'm sure having twins presents a lot of challenges beyond what I've experienced. But the joys they bring and the smiles. What a tremendous blessing!

    congratulations on your precious babies! We'll be praying for your healthy pregnancy and beautiful little ones. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete