Friday, January 15, 2010

Homemade

Last night my dear friend Jessica came over to visit before her return to Boston and we celebrated with some homemade Mexican food. She says that the closest thing Boston has to Mexican is Chipotle, which we all know is as far from authentic as Chef Boyardee is to Italian. Of course I don't place any claims for authenticity on my food either. Most of what I know about Mexican was learned over a basket of chips and a Corona Light.

Nonetheless I love cooking Mexican food. Last night I made guacamole, which I loaded up with lime juice for a tangy flavor. Then I tried my hand for the first time at making salsa. I had NO idea what I was doing, but I am proud to say that it was delicious. Our main course was really just a tortilla with some spicy chicken, loaded up with aforementioned guacamole and salsa, but even I was a little impressed at the quick dinner I put together.

As a girl trying to lose weight, of course I overanalyzed everything I ate. The guacamole and salsa were also accompanied by my favorite dipping device--the tortilla chip. Despite my efforts to limit the intake of those devilish chips, I still feel like I ate an entire bag. But as I was going to sleep last night, I realized one thing--although I did probably eat more chips than I should have, everything else was controllable.

My salsa had vegetables, lime and salt. No added fats or preservatives. My guacamole had only vegetables, lime and salt. No added fats or preservatives. My chicken and tortillas were fresh--the only things that weren't were rice and beans, which I limited to an actual serving size.

There are so many things within my control. And even when my hand won't stop feeding my mouth, I can still control what I put in it. So instead of getting down on myself, I choose to be happy about the quality of food I enjoyed last night and the wonderful company I enjoyed it with!

Now who wants Mexican?!

Totals Thursday, January 14
Good day! I lost weight!

Total Calories: Unknown. I was at 744 calories before dinner
Exercise: 70 minute swim
Weight loss: 11.5 pounds!!!
Water: good
Food:
Banana
Coffee with cream
Lean Cuisine Linguine Carbonara
Yoplait FatFree Yogurt
Popcorn
Tortilla chips
Guacamole (avocado, onion, tomato)
Salsa (tomato, onion, bell pepper, jalepeno)
Tortilla
4oz chicken breast
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup black beans

No comments:

Post a Comment