Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend in Review

In the words of kids these days, my weekend was an "epic fail" in the eating/weight loss department. However the time spent with my brother and friends was amazing.

Friday was decent--I found a low calorie option at the Olive Garden, ate half and passed on the breadsticks. My brother took part of the CPA exam on Friday afternoon so we celebrated with a beer and a few snacks. After he left to meet a friend for dinner, I rallied myself for a three-mile run, which impressed even me since I just drank a beer. But it was pretty much downhill from there. Some friends came over to play cards and suddenly hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps, Kahlua and Baileys were flowing.

One word pretty much describes Saturday: BOOZE. There was beer and Irish Car Bombs and more beer. Then there were homemade cookies, Sonic fries at 2am and a mountain of caramel corn. All this following the great dinner I made of Lemon Butter Shrimp Pasta. I followed a recipe by Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa--if you know anything about her, you know that it wasn't healthy. That woman could get anyone fat on a diet of broccoli and celery with as much butter as she puts in everything. One thing I did learn is that Guinness doesn't have that many calories. So who knows, maybe it was not as bad as I think? haha.

I redeemed myself slightly on Sunday. Although there were waffles and peanut butter for breakfast, I had a small, manageble dinner and put myself to bed at 8pm. I also went on a walk with my husband and the dog, and then did some unintentional exercise while helping move an entertainment center out of the condo.

Weekends like this make me want to give up. I have very little willpower. I am only successful when I stick to patterns and stay away from alcohol. Anytime I take myself out of my predictable pattern, I fail. This is when I give up and say that I will never be able to lose weight. Unfortuntately I know that this will be a life-long struggle for me. I need to learn to find balance. So today I am back on the horse or the wagon or whatever it is I fell off of and am trying again.

In news not food related, we watched "Inglorious Basterds" again and that movie is phenomenal. My friend Jessica talked us into watching (part of) "The Hangover" after our Thunder Valley/Sonic excursion and that movie will never get boring. I also learned that going to Thunder Valley at 1am is not a good idea. Do you think they will count my money lost as a tax-deductible charitable donation?

Happy Monday!

P.S. We have no internet in our new house until Wednesday. Then I will be sure to post my food log on the weekend; if I think more about what I am ingesting, alcohol included, I will make better choices.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Erin and try not to get too discouraged! It is all about finding the right balance in your life. And trust me... alcohol is a huge struggle for me too... and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is sucky. This blog is brave. You have always been so brave. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete